Animal Crossing as a Utopia
"build a masterpiece..."
Animal Crossing's world is most certainly a utopia in several ways, especially when compared to the realities of our modern societies. Here's why I have often described it as the "digital Garden of Eden:"
No Crime, War, Hate, or Prejudice
Side Jobs are Legitimate Jobs/Better Economy
Urban Areas Don't Encroach on Wildlife and Nature
Music (and Entertainment in General) is Truly Free
You Can Change Your World
- Trees planted in the wrong place? You can chop 'em down and replant as you like.
- Annoyed with the weeds? You can pull them up.
- Sick of your town flag or town tune? You can create a new one.
- Current fashions at the Able Sisters' looking blah? You can design your own.
- Not enough mail coming in? You can send ALL the letters you want.
- Empty boring museum? You can acquire and donate all sorts of collectibles to fill it up.
Basically, whatever you want to change in your town, you can at least do something to improve life for yourself, and that change ripples out to others. It is a beautiful fantasy fulfillment of a very real wish to "change the world" in many people's lives, and I believe we need even that artificial hope to sustain us sometimes, when the real world feels too unmoldable and incorrigible.